Wednesday, February 18, 2009

The New-York Art Week: Selection 1



Location One
“I’ll visit Location One as each time I’m in New-York; Location One is one of the best non-for-profit art space (exhibition and residency) in the heart of Soho and it is run by very nice people that I always enjoy meeting. They currently have a retrospective of Nayland Blake which is interesting; although it is a non-for-profit, their program is of similar quality of a commercial gallery. They celebrate their 10th anniversary very soon which I may attend ad well.”


Location One: 26 Green Street (Canal/Grand), New-York (http://www.location1.org/)

_________________________________________





Universal Gym by Thomas Hirschhorn at Gladstone Gallery
“I usually follow Thomas Hirschhorn with attention. He is always very excessive but interesting. I know the title of this solo show he currently has at Gladstone Gallery, Universal Gym, and I find the topic quite interesting as gym and fitness have become an obsession in the western world.”


Gladstone Gallery: 530 West 21th street, New-York (http://www.gladstonegallery.com/)

_________________________________________






Rock On Mars by Stephen Sprouse at Deitch Project
“I like Deitch Project; he has a great list of artists in his gallery and I’ve always enjoyed the bridges he builds between visual art and music. I’ll pop by his gallery to see the Stephen Sprouse exhibition. I’m not very familiar with Stephen Sprouse that why this retrospective is a good opportunity to get to know him better. Here again, there will be a mix of art, fashion, rock n’ roll and design !!!”




Deitch Project: 18 Wooster Street, New-York (http://www.deitch.com/)

_________________________________________



AND/OR by Jonathan Horowitz at PS1
“I always go to PS1 and spend some time to Brooklyn and Williamsburg; I’m always a tourist in New-York! I want to see the exhibition of Jonathan Horowitz, his first solo show in a New-York museum. he's work is always very political, a clever critic of the media and celebrity business in the US. The recent election of Barak Obama and the event Jonathan Horowitz organized at Gavin Brown's Enterprise the day of the election makes this exhibition a "must-see" in New-York at the moment.”




PS1: 22-25 Jackson Avenue (46th Ave), Long Island City, Brooklyn (ps1.org)

No comments:

Post a Comment